Simple steps Questions to ask are:
How do I choose the right agency for my journey?
It is important to do some research and make sure that your agency has experience and knowledge about the third party cycle. An agency that has been around for many years has passed the test of time. They may have the experience to help plan out a journey that is more smooth, efficient and timely. Having a nurse on staff can provide that extra layer of support to help bridge the gap between the Clinic, Intended Parents and the Agency.
Agency Checklist for Intended Parents:
- Has the Agency been working for many years? Do they have adequate expertise?
- Does the Agency have any clinical knowledge of third party reproduction?
- Does the Agency have up to date information about the requirements for surrogacy?
- Does the Agency follow ethical and legal procedures?
- Does the Agency have up to date information about FDA requirements?
- What Services do you Provide?
- Screening service on Egg Donors, Surrogates, and Intended Parents
- Matching Services
- Social Services/ Counseling Support
- Resources for Single Parents or LGBTQ Community
- Coordination of fertility treatment
- Legal Support/ recommendations to top experts in the field
What is the Screening Process for Surrogate Candidates?
As an agency accepts new surrogate candidates and they are prepared for a match, what internal process the candidates have to go through. It is expensive to send all candidates for a medical screen with the Reproductive Endocrinologist. It can be very helpful for an Agency to conduct a layer of prescreening to help Intended Parents select healthy, qualified candidates.
An example of this process is the following:
- Initial interview with our nursing team to ensure eligibility.
- Nursing staff will request and review all medical records for deliveries and prenatal care.
- OBGYN Clearance letter
- Up to date blood work for general health and infectious disease.
- Background check.
An Agency will help the Intended Parents go through the different screening phases prior to starting a cycle:
- Medical Screen
- Psychological Evaluation
- Legal Counsel for Contract
It is important to work with a team that is working with experts in the field that can provide up to date and accurate information especially when legal contracts are concerned. Ask for a list of potential partners for legal support and psychological evaluations.
How do you handle emergencies?
Lastly, with all the moving parts in third party reproduction the Agency becomes the quarterback.The center of all communication and scheduling. It is important that the Agency ensures open communication between the Intended Parents, the Clinic, the Legal Team and the Surrogate. Having tools and protocols to handle emergencies and difficulties is essential.
Are You Ready To Start Your Surrogacy Journey? Connect with Simple Steps Fertility Today!
Finding the right fit can be quite difficult, especially if this is your first time meeting with a team. As this is a big decision to make, taking all the time you need to make those decisions and asking the right questions is imperative. We are here for you whenever you make that choice. Simple Steps Fertility is a unique boutique agency that was founded by a nurse practitioner with years of experience. We are not just an agency but an infertility support center that will help take care for everything from A to Z.